Sunpu Castle was built about 650 years ago in the Muromachi period (1336-1573) when Norikuni Imagawa was appointed as the governor of Suruga Province. It is believed that the Imagawa clan's mansions have been located around Sunpu Castle since that time.
Tokugawa Ieyasu, who became the fudal lord of five countries around Sunpu, began building Sunpu Castle as his residence in 1585, and completed the part of the castle within the present Ninomaru in 1589.
The current Sunpu Castle Park is a reconstruction of the old Honmaru and Ninomaru areas inside the middle moat of Sunpu Castle.
In 1989, the Tatsumi Yagura turret was restored in the southeast corner of Ninomaru. Both the Tatsumi Yagura and the East Gate have been restored using traditional construction methods, and the interior is open to the public as a museum.
The Momijiyama Garden was also developed in the fall of 2001, and in addition, a HitsujisaruYagura was restored in the southwest corner in 2014.